Wednesday, July 11, 2012

True Gems from the SAT Essay

According to my fellow teachers, I have been missing out. 

Out of the way, math class. It is actually when high school students are put in the high stress environment of writing an essay in 25 minutes that makes them say what they truly think. And the best part? There's evidence. While I do not envy the SAT Writing teachers their job of slogging through piles of essays every week, here are a few priceless moments that make it all worth it. 

Enjoy! 

Essay Gems: (all grammar and spelling mistakes are theirs) 

"As a high student, it is my responsibility to make the 'best' decisions." 
Uh huh. A "high" student that makes the "best" decisions. 

"Unlike Mozart, Beethoven only had 9 Symphonies." 
That lazy bum! Composer my foot! 

"Before stardom, the Beatles were another struggling high school band. They lacked quality, experience, and etiquette, all of which is dire to success." 
True stuff, man. They only succeeded after learning to drink tea with their pinkies in the air. 

Referencing Of Mice and Men: "Lennie needs George in order to survive because without him, he will go around petting things until he gets shot." 
...What? 

"There are seven billion people who are walking about on Earth. We have eyes, thumbs, and faces." 
My boyfriend believes that this line is actually genius and will become a famous first line in this kid's first novel. 

"I still remember the touch of my coach's sweaty palm guiding my arm as she taught me the correct stroke." 
Um, I'd say something, but I'm going to keep this blog PG. 

"Though this issue is subjective, those people are wrong." 
At least this kid took a stance. Isn't that what the SAT wants? 


No comments:

Post a Comment